9.12.2007

Preconception is Deceptive

My initial feelings for new Orleans as a resident of four weeks comes from my feelings and newfound devotion for my neighborhood in Bywater. I think of this city on a smaller scale than I did when I first arrived; in terms of people, coffee shops, bars and stores, instead of the French Quarter, Mardi Gras, and the flood. Occasionally, the sticky heat affects my feelings, but rarely now that I live here, do I associate New Orleans with water anymore. Why, when I am surrounded almost entirely by water, do I think about my position only when I am removed from the city context? Why did coming to live here push the association between water and New Orleans so easily out of my mind?

I think my answer lies in the fact that the attitude present here about water is so defensive. Levees, pumps and other defense systems are present, barricading New Orleans from the water it was made from.

I spent my summer this year in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Rotterdam, much like New Orleans, is below sea level, a major port, and surrounded by water. The Dutch are very aware of the water that surrounds them, but seem to have a completely different view of the water that threatens them. I think a lot of this awareness has to do with the development of their waterfront and it’s accessibility throughout the city. They have the similar defense systems in place, and take flooding very seriously, but they are able to work with the water instead of against it. They build with the water, using it to their advantage, rather than treating it as a disadvantage.

I think New Orleans can learn so many lessons from the Dutch, not only in defense technology, but in the interaction with the water. By changing attitudes about water from a negative standpoint to one that is positive, we can start to use water in a way that will be advantageous to the community of New Orleans. We can learn to incorporate water in the daily life of a new Orleanian rather than ignore it.

It’s funny how perceptions change so much with exposure. I had so many preconceived ideas about New Orleans and what New Orleans meant, like the flood and it’s obvious impact on the people here. My idea of what water means to people is obvious now that I live here and see first hand the attitude, both spoken and unspoken. But my question still remains as to how New Orleans can start to look at the water they so depend on and, with caution, embrace it.

Maybe as I spend more time here, I will gain a new perception of New Orleans that includes a different view of water. But for now, I understand water in the context of the city. I understand that even though water is present in the everyday life of a new Orleanian, you just may not be so aware of it. My challenge becomes how I make water more apparent to myself in my daily life in New Orleans.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Alyse,
The beginning few lines of your blog are very nice. I like the way you set up a juxtaposition between two ways of knowing the city (from a distance and upclose) and how one’s sense of scale changes depending on where you are (outside or inside the city). This is a fascinating observation about how we grow to understand and know places. I would encourage you to develop this idea further as it might lead to even more discoveries.

I’m not sure using the word ‘defensive’ to describe New Orleans’ attitude is the best word, only because I think you’re trying to distinguish its attitude from that found in the Netherlands, which you also describe as defensive. So, if BOTH areas are defensive by necessity, you might need to find another way of saying what you mean about the difference you perceive. In other words, NO is defensive in a different way than the Netherlands.

How, specifically does the Netherlands “build with the water, using it to their advantage?” Some specific examples / photos could make this more clear for a reader who has never been there. It will also strengthen your overall argument that NO can learn from the Netherlands by changing its approach to the water.

There is also a contradiction embedding in your writing. On the one hand, you say that people here ignore the water.....yet later state that the idea of water to people here is obvious, as it exists both spoken and unspoken.

Remove all the sentences that don’t add very much to your piece. For example, “but for now, i understand water in the context of the city.” You’ve already mentioned the two different ways of understanding water in the city—plus, the language in this sentence is very vague.

Watch redundancy of words, too. In your last paragraph, you use the word “water” 6 times, which seems to indicate to me that some of the sentences could be combined to avoid having the reader saying ‘water’ over and over.

Finally, I would suggest talking to local New Orleanians to find out what they feel about the presence of water. This will help you to distinguish between what is YOUR perception and what are the actual feelings of others.

Thank you for writing this piece.
Liz